Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Michelle Obama is to appear on the cover of US Vogue magazine

The wife of US President Barack Obama will become only the second First Lady to grace the front of the world famous fashion publication.

Speaking about the decision to feature Michelle - the country’s first African-American First Lady - in the March edition, Vogue’s editor Anna Wintour said: "Change was the clarion call of Barack Obama's election campaign, though I don't think any of us at Vogue initially realised that would include the difference that was going to be made by First Lady Michelle Obama's wardrobe.

“It's inspiring to see our first lady so serene and secure in her personal style."

Michelle wears a magenta dress designed by Jason Wu - who also created her stunning inaugural gown - and poses on a sofa for her cover shot, which was taken by legendary photographer Annie Leibovitz.

In another picture, the 45-year-old trained lawyer is seen hard at work - talking on the phone and surrounded by a laptop, pen and paper - while wearing a black dress by Narciso Rodriguez.

During the interview, Michelle reveals she is adjusting to life in the White House - but insists her priority remains being a mother to her children Malia and Sasha.

She said: “I'm going to try to take our two daughters to school every morning – as much as I can.

“But there's also a measure of independence. And obviously there will be times I won't be able to drop them off at all. I like to be a presence in my kids' school. I want to know the teachers, I want to know the other parents."